Mariska van Vilsteren - Psychologist
- General Psychologist Registration (AHPRA)
- Working With Children Check
- AHPRA Psychology Internship
- Associate Member of the APS
- Bachelor of Science (Psychology) - The Netherlands
- Master of Science in Clinical and Developmental Psychology - The Netherlands
Areas of Special Interest:
- Depression and anxiety
- Trauma, including survivors of childhood abuse and neglect
- Family and parenting issues
- Child and adolescent mental health
- Pre- and post-natal issues
- EMDR Therapy
During her psychology studies in The Netherlands, Mariska was predominantly trained in cognitive behavioural therapy, but also embraces other frameworks such as psycho-dynamic counselling, schema therapy and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), based on the client's needs and presenting issues. Mariska finds it very important to work with a client-centred, trauma-informed and mindfulness based approach to increase personal and family wellbeing.
Before moving to Australia in 2010, Mariska worked in The Netherlands as a psychologist assessing children with language, hearing and/or developmental issues. After arriving in Melbourne, Mariska worked as a Family Counsellor with complex, isolated and disadvantaged families in a community organisation in the western suburbs. This is where she gained substantial experience in working with clients who have been faced with childhood abuse and neglect and related attachment issues.
Mariska is passionate about counselling children, young people, families and adults in a way that is supportive, family oriented, practical, and tailored to the client's needs.
Days available: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday.